Friday, September 17, 2010

New Fall TV

Besides Huddy, the road to New York, the final season of Friday Night Lights, Jennifer Aniston back on the small screen there are some new shows to look forward to as well this season. Let's take a look.



The Event
Mondays 9pm NBC

I don't know if this is a show to look forward to but NBC seems to be pushing the crap out of it. The way execs look at it, people are looking for a way to fill the void after Lost has come and gone. Why don't we see how Flash Forward and V turned out, both canceled (Well not V, but really it's only a matter of time). The show looks like it is going to require a lot of emotional commitment, something I'm not ready to give with football season having started up again and the show being Monday at 9. I have my doubts on this one, and the only way I'm watching this is if I hear good things and then I'll find it online.





Running Wilde
Tuesdays 9:30pm FOX

FOX's mishandling of shows is notorious, it gets so many shows that are ahead of its time but doesn't know what to do with them till eventually they shut down the operation (Read: Firefly, Futurama, and Family Guy). Arrested Development was no different, after winning the EMMY for Outstanding Comedy Series after its first year it would get dropped after season 3. It is now held in the highest esteem and you can see the performances now on DVD, IFC, or whenever you see George Michael Cera. Running Wilde seems to be a GOB spin off which could be awesome seeing as first season Arnett was a show stealer. Arnett plays oil company heir Steve Wilde whose life changes when he runs into boyhood crush Keri Russell who, of course, is an environmentalist. Unfortunately I'm going to have to sit through Raising Hope to get to it, because clearly I'm watching Glee first and I'm not going to change the channel. Hopefully this show doesn't go the way of Joey.





Undercovers
Wednesday 8pm NBC

I can't hate on a J.J. Abrahms helmed show, he has given the TV world so many gems: Alias, Lost, Fringe - by the way if you're not watching Fringe and ratings suggest you are not give this show a shot. Yes it's about a married couple who have retired from the CIA to open a catering company. And now they are out of retirement to save the world and reinvigorate their marriage. This show also sounds like a stupid premise but hey the wifey looks like a hotty, I apologize for that last line of text I knew it sounded awful as soon as I wrote it.





$#*! My Dad Says
Thursdays 8:30PM CBS

William Shatner stars in a show that got its start from twitter. I don't know if this will be any good but its lead in show is the Big Bang Theory so that should help its ratings. But really there is no reason to watch it when you have the NBC Thursday lineup starting with Community leading into...





Outsourced
Thursday 8:30PM NBC

I'm a little mad at this show for taking away Parks and Rec and moving it to the spring season, but you need to keep fresh shows coming in and they have been 2 for 2 for adding shows to the Thursday line up so don't bet against this one. The Office may be winding down but with this being Michael Scott's last season I have a feeling this season they are going to pull out all the stops. I like the NBC lineup so I am going to stick with it and give this show a chance. Besides India has given me slumdog, maybe they can give me a solid comedy as well.





Hawaii Five-0
Mondays 10PM CBS

Book em Danno. Usually TV reboots don't work. But did you see Scott Cann in Entourage this past season? He helped to reestablish one of HBO's biggest hits. I don't doubt that he is going to add a lot of comedy to the show as one the leads. I also love Daniel Dae Kim and it may be nice to see him chasing someone other than Sun. I would say this is the drama I'm looking forward to most, but I'd be lieing.







Boardwalk Empire
Sundays 9:00 PM HBO

The show looks awesome. Martin Scorsese does wonders with grit like this so I have no doubt they will do this show right. HBO also has a track record for having some of the best shows ever introduced to television. As long as you like Steve Buscemi and the character he always plays something tells me you'll like him in this as well even if he is ordering the deaths of those who stand in his way. He plays the de facto leader of Atlantic City during prohibition. There is going to be plenty of boozing, drugs and sex to go around for everyone involved. Make this the show to watch this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment