Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fall TV Preview Part 1

It’s been a long time coming. I should have tried to tackle this a lot earlier but now I find myself with time, so here is my best attempt at a fall TV preview. Please note I’ll do my best but there is a lot of TV coming out. And I will not be previewing any reality show. Well because fuck that genre. Let’s start with NBC

NBC
• Jay Leno Show: Obviously done to keep Jay from defecting to ABC. Do these variety shows ever really work especially when it is 5 days a week and on network TV. It may work because Jay is used to putting on a daily show but I doubt I’ll be checking it out when there is so much other different content and bigger variety on other channels. This is also why there are so few new shows on TV as he will be taking up 5 days a week. NBC is banking on people wanting comedy and not dramas at 10 to lead into the news. The show is cheap to make so either way it is a win
• Heroes: This show has gone down hill to say the least. It was barely hanging on a string last season but got picked up again. Something big is going to have to happen for this show to work; I don’t think it’s in the cards.
• Mercy: Another nursing show, they have been doing well recently but how long can this trend last. People do love their hospital dramas though so we will see.
• Community: I hope this show lasts but it’s not getting positive reviews. I really like Joel McHale and I think he’s funny. It’s nice to see Chevy Chase in something else. And recently the Daily Show correspondents have been doing well for themselves so here’s hoping John Oliver does well. It also is tagged with the powerful Thursday night line-up so NBC gave it all the chances to succeed.
• Parks and Recreation: The show doesn’t do it for me. If I want to watch the Office I’ll just wait a half hour I can’t set into the series.
• The Office: Don’t get me wrong there are only two things I believe in that God supports my favorite sports teams (read: The Phightin Phils and the BU Terriers) and in Pam and Jim. But the show was so much better when they weren’t working. They tried to keep Pam away at art school but it wasn’t the same conflict. The show has gone downhill and while Andy and Dwight are great can they save an entire series: no. They’re the comic relief not the heroes.
• 30 Rock: This show is amazing. But you’re going to have to wait a while. This one is not coming back until October 15th.
• Southland: Where shows go to die, and for good reason. This will probably be the end for Southland as the show debut was also pushed back a month for some fine tuning and so it won’t have to go up against mudium.
• Law and Order: SVU: Mariska Hargitay is getting some of the credit she deserves with an Emmy nomination. But I think I prefer the reruns better than the new ones. I’ll wait till they move to USA.

1 comment:

  1. Mariska Hargitay is a stone cold fox. Shame on you for not liking the new ones - everything Dick Wolf touches turns to gold (excecpt Vincent Dinofrio, who is Satan). I think the new ones tinker a bit with the tempo and direction of the series, but maybe it's welcome after a decade on the air.

    ReplyDelete