Friday, September 25, 2009

This Week In TV

Well its been a while since I've seen a movie and I can't go that long without blogging so I thought I would give you some of my thoughts of the TV that I have seen over the week. I'll let you know if any have Spoilers.

2009 EMMYs
Can we do ourselves a favor and let Neil Patrick Harris host the Oscars? He has done a terrific job hosting both the TONNYs and the EMMYs and has received praise from almost every major outlet and a few past hosts. His opening number Put Down the Remote was great. The speeches were kept short (except for the made for TV movie section) which was a nice change of pace. 30 rock and Mad Men clearly deserved to come out on top, they are the best TV have to offer. Speaking of...

Mad Men (SPOILERS)
For those of you that claims that nothing happens on the show, there I hope you can finally be happy. A lot of action in this episode. It was nice to see Joan a lot, I usually like to turn down the volume so we can have some alone time but she really had some genuine concerns, they can't lose her so I hope something happens. And there really aren't enough lawn mower accidents on TV so while an emotional event, it was nice to add a little humor to it.

Bored to Death
This looks like its going to be a great show. I love Galifinakis and frankly its about time hes got some recognition. But hes not ever the best actor in the show Ted Danson steals every scene he is in. Its well written Schwartzman's character seems like he'll be over his head I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Curb your Enthusiasm (SPOILERS)
The show is wonderful as ever. I don't know how I feel about this Cancer plot line, but gratefully as per usual its not taken with a heavy hand. I can not wait till the Seinfeld reunion starts up and I'm wondering how much Richards will be involved with the project or if he will merely be kept in the background.

Entourage (SPOILERS)
God I wish I could stop watching this show. They clearly have no idea what they are doing with Vinny. They tried the stalker stuff but that was dragged out way to long and nothing came of it. It seems like they have mercifully gave up on him and E's new flame this season. God willing we will see more Sloan now. I do like the direction with are taking Drama Lloyd and Ari, these story lines can stay in the plot line but I doubt they will. While it is nice to see Turtle dealing with some stuff its not my cup of tea and would trade his romatic issues for Vinny's vulnerability any day of the week. Preferably Sunday.

House (SPOILERS)
I think it was good that they dealt with the mental issues the first two episodes as that is how they left the series off, and frankly don't you get tired basically seeing the same story again and again, it was a welocomed chain of scenery. And as an added bonus to a theater lover like me we were able to enjoy the company of Lin-Manuel Miranda from in the heights fame and see his skills on the mic with a helping hand from Dr. House. We also got to see his vulnerability in both a brief love interest and his desire to help one of the patients turn wrong on him. This evolution into how he sees himself may change his character hopefully it will be subtle and for the better as viewers do enjoy seeing him on the right track I doubt it will be such a dramatic shift like what we see on

How I Met Your Mother (SPOILERS)
First and foremost a moment of silence for the death of the Barney Stinson character. The character has moved on ever since #200. Robin needs to get tested. On the plus side Ted finally had a good story line since the departure of Sarah Chalke (Stella). And right now the best thing they can do is to understand that he is not the most important character in the series anymore, the writers seem to get it which is why his stories seem to be falling by the wayside. Ted's first day in school was funny, now if only they could figure out something to do with Marshall (he could be too busy with movies though)

Glee (SPOILERS)
There are too many stroylines and not enough singing. Don't get me wrong I love dancing football players as much as the next guy (so illegal). But it seems like every character is fighting for air time. And they are barely highlighting the main love interest, but there was a nice little awkward hug. Also I was hoping this pregnancy thing would end but that looks like its here to stay.
Best line of the week: Boy, the only thing missing from this place is a couple dozen bodies lined and rotting in shallow graves under the floorboards.

Modern Family
This was definitely the show to watch on Wednesday. It has a very Arrested Development feel to it. That's not to say its just as good, but it does have a loving dysfunctional family I haven't seen since that show went off the air. The gay couple is definitely the family to watch. But some wonderfully uncomfortable moments with the "hip" dad. The only problem is the show after it.

Cougartown
Maybe its because I'm a 20 year old male and not a 40 year old recently divorced woman. I did not laugh at all during this show. I loved Scrubs and I loved Spin City but this one by Bill Lawerence doesn't do it for me. Plus it would be tough for me to think a woman like Courtney Cox's has issues about her looks.

Flash Forward
Will it be the new Lost. Well not for lack of trying and the show's producer's aren't trying to hide it with appearances from Penny, Charlie and an advertisement for Oceanic Air. The story is engaging and definitely addicting with an ability to make light of the situation as well. David Goyer (Batman Begins) is a fantastic writer, during an interview with John Cho on Preston and Steve Cho stated that they have the first 3 seasons mapped out and by the end of season 1 the audience will know how everyone flashed forward. This is the best new drama of the season.

The Office
Nice to see a paranoid Michael haven't seen him in a while. Also love Jim's logic and Dwight's reaction. Nice to see a all the character back to playing the roles they had earlier in the series. Hopefully the writing will stay consistent to what we have seen. (Not that I didn't love Andy confused about his sexual orientation in the first episode).

Community
What a great pairing. I certainly hope people are watching Joel McHale is great. And in this episode Chevy Chase has a lot of screen time, which is great. Those two at the end of the episode has an awesome visual montage that are great. Ken Joeng is great in this episode as he has been in everything he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment