Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Emmy Nominations: First Thoughts

The Emmy nominations were just announced today and I would just like to be clear on how I see things, and I think I have always done this post the past several years so why not keep with tradition. All right lets see how it played out.

No surprise that EMMY voters are still crazy about Mad Men and Modern Family. They lead the pack on nominations with 19 for the drama, and an impressive 17 for the family. Last year was probably Mad Men's worse season and they still got all that credit. Once the EMMY voters get something in their heads....

I can't believe how much they got right. The drama category is basically a perfect pick. You could argue that The Killing or The Walking Dead maybe deserved to be there. They both started so strong but then ended on such so-so notes that I am not surprised. And it is about time Friday Night Lights got included even if this week is also the show's series finale. I'm still waiting on Justified,Better late than never. I'm just glad that fan favorite True Blood got left out.

I imagine Treme should have been included on this list, but it wouldn't be a David Simon show without no one watching it during it's original airing and thus getting no credit for its brilliance until several years after its run where everyone slowly wonders how this show didn't get more credit.

I do think we could have left Dexter off this list, as this was not its best season (that was last year's in case you were wondering). What deserved to be on the list was Sons of Anarchy, if for no other reason than show creator Kurt Sutter tweeted: “If we get any Emmy noms I’ll tattoo EMMYS RULE on my ass.” I think we missed out on a great opportunity guys.

How about them comedies. Parks and Recreation finally bust through the mold but man where is the love for Community are you kidding me?!?! Especially this year when 30 Rock was nothing special and on a down year again and with Glee not being the best of anything. The writing was bad and episode to episode there was little to no continuity. Is Glee even a comedy anymore? This Community oversight may be the biggest one of all.

And while I'm glad Community got a little love for their work with Joel McHale getting nominated where is the love for Danny Pudi, or Chevy Chase. You could make an argument for Troy or Annie as well. They have the second best ensemble on television (behind Modern Family) and some of the sharpest writing. All this Community dissing deserves a failing grade for EMMY voters

Seriously how did the entire cast of Modern Family get nominated. They are good, but the entire cast? That is just being selfish. Looking at you Jesse Tyler Ferguson. But a huge ABOUT TIME to Al Bundy who received his first EMMY nomination today.

Why do Emmy nominations matter? It Doesn't. Nick Offerman doesn't need Emmy love to know he is the best supporting actor hands down.

Louie didn't deserve to be nominated for the series, but you better believe Louie C.K. deserved it for his acting. I am actually surprised that EMMY voters got this right. Not only that but in the drama category Timothy Olyphant and his supporting cast has long deserved some love and they finally get it with four acting nominations. About time.

So we are all in agreement that Harry's Law blows right? So why is Kathy Bates getting nominated, just because she is a good actress in general doesn't mean she is good on the show. The nomination probably deserved to go to Kyra Sedgwick who won the award last year but this year isn't even nominated. There is no way the talent went away that fast.

And I am about to lose my head over Sean Bean not getting nominated (see what I did there). Alright maybe I'm not Community mad, but he was the heart and soul of a series that rightfully deserved to be nominated for Best Drama, so where is the love for the acting. And I mean it's not like they can make it up to him next year.

It's a changing of the guard in late night television as Conan and Fallon are in, while Leno and Letterman are out, but where is the love for Jimmy Kimmel. Not that it matters everyone knows Jon Stewart's already overflowing awards trophy is about to get a little heavier.

What do you guys think? Are there any snubs I left out? I don't watch Fringe but I hear great things, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. "I still think awards are stupid. But they'd be less stupid if they went to the right people." - Ron Swanson

    ReplyDelete